I spend a lot of time using OS X. A typical day will involve somewhere between 12 and 15 hours usage, with somewhat less than that on the weekends. I've been doing this basically ever since the Public Beta. After all that time, there are obviously some things that make we wonder "What was Apple thinking?" when they made a certain decision.
So without further ado, here's a list of ten such questions -- in this case, I'm focusing on the Finder and the user interface in general. Answers aren't provided, of course, but please feel free to comment if you have any insight on any of them...
- Why can't I sort a Finder column-view window? Yes, the UI would be tricky, but it's quite doable (see Path Finder, which does it quite nicely).
- Why isn't there an easy way to colorize the Finder's sidebar? It can be done, of course, but it's quite the hack -- and this one no longer works in 10.4.
- Speaking of colors, why can't I colorize (or use a picture background in) a column-view or list-view window? Are only icon-view users thought to enjoy color?
- How come a folder in the Sidebar is spring-loaded (you can drill-down while dragging an object), but folders in the Toolbar are not? They used to be, but when the Sidebar was added, that functionality was removed from the Toolbar. I find the Toolbar more useful than the Sidebar (there's more room there, for one thing), but the lack of spring-loaded folder support there is somewhat crippling.
- Why can't I add a visual divider to the dock, without resorting to aliases with lame custom icons?
- Why can't I change the default Label colors easily, as I could way back in OS 9?
- How come, after four-plus years, we're still stuck with only "Blue" and "Graphite" as Appearance options? I don't want to install a third-party tool to modify the system's look, but I'd love a few more options.
- Why isn't there a global "disable bouncing dock icons" preference? I hate that feature, but not all programs let you disable it. Again, to get rid of it at present, I'd have to rely on a third-party solution.
- Why can't I have a Sidebar on my Finder windows without a Toolbar? I can have the Toolbar without the Sidebar, but disabling the Toolbar also disables the Sidebar.
- Why isn't the Finder written in Cocoa? I can understand the decision back in the 10.0 days, but are there still technical reasons that require it in 10.4?
None of these issues are (obviously) so awful that I don't like using my Mac. But if even some of them could be addressed, the experience would be just that much better!