Updated and republished for the OS X 10.10.2 release; skip it unless you really really care about all the OS X releases. Originally published on November 14th, 2005.
Below the break is a table showing all major releases of OS X from the public beta through the latest public version, which is OS X 10.10.2 as of January 27th, 2015. Note that this release marks the 85th release of OS X (counting major, minor, and released-then-yanked updates). Wow.
Note: Click the ⓘ symbol to read Apple’s release notes for a given update.
The following was culled from Apple’s support downloads page, and as such, some of the dates may be off just a bit. If you know for certain that something is incorrect, please let me know and I’ll get it fixed. (Scroll to see all entries.)
|Oct 16||29||10.10||5.2 GB||ⓘ Yosemite – No surfers here.||Sep 17||79||10.9.5||139 MB||ⓘ||Jun 30||46||10.9.4||283 MB||ⓘ||May 15||79||10.9.3||461 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 25||71||10.9.2||460 MB||ⓘ|
|2013||Dec 16||55||10.9.1||243.4 MB||ⓘ|
|Oct 22||19||10.9||5.3 GB||ⓘ Mavericks – All out of big cats!|
|Oct 3||21||10.8.5SU||19.6 MB||ⓘ Supplemental Update|
|Sep 12||100||10.8.5||273.7 MB||ⓘ|
|Jun 4||82||10.8.4||152.0 MB||ⓘ|
|Mar 14||161||10.8.3||249.0 MB||ⓘ|
|2012||Oct 4||15||10.8.2SU||26.7 MB||ⓘ Supplemental Update|
|Sep 19||27||10.8.2||665.5 MB||ⓘ|
|Aug 23||29||10.8.1||24.2 MB||ⓘ|
|Jul 25||77||10.8||4.1 GB||ⓘ Mountain Lion – App Store only|
|Oct 4||15||10.7.5SU||2.0 MB||ⓘ Supplemental Update|
|Sep 19||133||10.7.5||1.1 GB||ⓘ Released w/ 10.8.2|
|May 9||98||10.7.4||692.7 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 1||112||10.7.3||1.3 GB||ⓘ Only combo updater available|
|2011||Oct 12||56||10.7.2||768.8 MB||ⓘ Now iCloud enabled|
|Aug 17||29||10.7.1||79.3 MB||ⓘ|
|Jul 19||26||10.7||4.1 GB||ⓘ Lion – App Store only (USB stick in the fall)|
|Jun 23||94||10.6.8||453.6 MB||ⓘ App Store readied for Lion|
|Mar 21||74||10.6.7||475 MB||ⓘ|
|Jan 6||57||10.6.6||143.6 MB||ⓘ Can you say “App Store?”|
|2010||Nov 10||148||10.6.5||644.5 MB||ⓘ|
|Jun 15||78||10.6.4||607.2 MB||ⓘ|
|Mar 29||140||10.6.3||719.2 MB||ⓘ|
|2009||Nov 9||60||10.6.2||473 MB||ⓘ|
|Sep 10||13||10.6.1||71.5 MB||ⓘ|
|Aug 28||23||10.6||???||ⓘ Snow Leopard – First Intel-only release|
|Aug 5||85||10.5.8||274 MB||ⓘ|
|May 12||148||10.5.7||442 MB||ⓘ|
|2008||Dec 15||91||10.5.6||372 MB||ⓘ|
|Sep 15||77||10.5.5||316 MB||ⓘ|
|Jun 30||33||10.5.4||88 MB||ⓘ|
|May 28||107||10.5.3||420 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 11||88||10.5.2||343 MB||ⓘ Combo updater only|
|2007||Nov 15||20||10.5.1||110 MB||ⓘ|
|Oct 26||128||10.5||???||ⓘ Leopard – First universal binary release|
|Nov 14||147||10.4.11||128 MB||ⓘ This ’10’ goes to ’11’|
|Jun 20||99||10.4.10||72 MB||ⓘ|
|Mar 13||165||10.4.9||160 MB||ⓘ|
|2006||Sep 29||94||10.4.8||206 MB||ⓘ|
|Jun 27||85||10.4.7||133 MB||ⓘ|
|Apr 3||48||10.4.6||163 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 14||35||10.4.5||16 MB||ⓘ|
|Jan 10||71||10.4.4||55 MB||ⓘ First Intel-capable release|
|Jul 12||57||10.4.2||44 MB||ⓘ|
|May 16||17||10.4.1||37 MB||ⓘ|
|Apr 29||14||10.4||???||ⓘ Tiger|
|Apr 15||65||10.3.9||51.3 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 9||56||10.3.8||26.6 MB||ⓘ|
|2004||Dec 15||40||10.3.7||97 MB||ⓘ Combo updater only|
|Nov 5||88||10.3.6||34 MB||ⓘ|
|May 26||72||10.3.4||79 MB||ⓘ Combo updater only|
|Mar 15||89||10.3.3||70 MB||ⓘ Combo updater only|
|Nov 10||17||10.3.1||1.5 MB||ⓘ|
|Oct 24||21||10.3||???||ⓘ Panther|
|Oct 3||57||10.2.8||40 MB||ⓘ|
|Aug 7?||93||10.2.7||???||For first-gen G5s only|
|Apr 10||56||10.2.5||81.9 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 13||56||10.2.4||76 MB||ⓘ|
|Sep 18||26||10.2.1||???||ⓘ Update not available?|
|Aug 23||79||10.2||???||ⓘ Jaguar|
|Jun 5||47||10.1.5||45.1 MB||ⓘ Combo updater only|
|Apr 19||57||10.1.4||1.7 MB||ⓘ|
|Feb 21||62||10.1.3||16 MB||ⓘ|
|2001||Dec 21||37||10.1.2||29.2 MB||ⓘ|
|Nov 14||50||10.1.1||13.8 MB||ⓘ|
|Sep 25||95||10.1||???||ⓘ Puma|
|Jun 22||44||10.0.4||12 MB||ⓘ|
|May 9||1||10.0.3||15 MB||ⓘ|
|May 8?||22||10.0.2||???||Released but replaced (see comments)|
|Mar 24||192||10.0||???||ⓘ Cheetah|
|2000||Sep 13||–||10.0β||???||ⓘ Public Beta|
Note: The Gap column reflects the number of days between update releases. Some entries may appear out of chronological order (i.e. 10.5 is shown on Oct 26, but above Nov 14 for 10.4.11). This is to keep the version numbers in the proper order, even when an older OS received an update after a major new release came out. This has happened a few times over the years.
Some random notes, updated from the original post:
- Starting with the Public Beta and up through OS X 10.10.2, there have been 85 OS X releases, both major and minor. This figure includes every OS X release. There have been two updates—10.0.2, which as far as I can tell, was never released, and 10.2.7, which I believe was the update with the one-day lifespan—that are somewhat odd, but they were in fact released, so I’ve counted them. If I’m wrong about some of these, please correct me.
- As of January 27th, 2015 (OS X 10.10.2’s release date), it’s been 5,249 days since the Public Beta was released. So on average, we’ve seen some sort of update every 61.75 days.
- The shortest time period between any two releases is 13 days, which is how quickly 10.6.1 came out after the 10.6 Snow Leopard release.
- The longest time period between any two minor releases is 165 days, which was how long we waited for the 10.4.8 » 10.4.9 update.
- The smallest update was 10.3.1, at only 1.5MB. The largest (non-combo) update was 10.7.2, at 768.8MB (i.e. 512.5 copies of the 10.3.1 update!).
- The “???” entry for Size on a given release indicates I was unable to find the size. Feel free to contact me if you can help replace any of the “???” entries.
And now, gratuitous graphics…
Releases by version number
Releases by year
I warned you it was useless…perhaps not completely boring, but useless!